Unlike other window makers, we use Coastal Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga Menziesii) as the standard species in our frames and sashes. This tightly grained wood does more than just give our windows a rich, warm texture— it’s also naturally tough and resilient, yet remarkably workable, meaning it is ideal for precision milling and capable of holding the smallest, most intricate detailing.
To enhance our wood’s high natural resistance to moisture absorption, decay and insect infestation, every Loewen wood component is treated with a water repellant/wood preservative sealant before assembly.
• Douglas Fir — different, durable. The ideal species for fenestration and a hallmark of the Loewen brand.
• Douglas Fir is North America’s most plentiful softwood species, accounting for one-fifth of the continent’s total softwood reserves.
• Nearly 100% of the wood fiber used in the production of Loewen products is derived from forests that are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified, Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified, Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified, or Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) certified.
Douglas Fir Durability
Douglas Fir Fastener Retention
This chart shows the force required to remove fasteners.
For years, the exclusive use of coastal Douglas Fir has been a hallmark of the Loewen brand. Now, Loewen is proud to offer our complete line of windows and doors in Mahogany, giving discerning consumers a choice of wood species to further customize their residential or light commercial projects.
Like fir, Mahogany is known for its natural strength, superior fastener holding power and resistance to decay. Carefully gathered from recognized controlled sources, the rich, fine-grained beauty of Mahogany fits perfectly with the quality and refinement that homeowners, custom builders, architects and designers have come to expect from Loewen.
From fine furniture to custom cabinetry, the natural beauty and strength of Mahogany has made this wood a popular choice for centuries. This hardwood’s unique appearance and natural durability ensure that your windows and doors will stand the test of time, nature and fashion.
• Grain: Traditionally rich, with a short, light swirled pattern.
• Color: Distinct colors ranging from pink-red to brown when first cut. As the wood ages, it turns to its distinctive reddish-brown color.
• Resilience: Exceptional natural resistance to decay and insect infestation.
• Finish: Natural, clear Mahogany with no visible finger joints. Ideal for clear staining.
• Construction: Mortise and tenon sash joinery gives added strength and structural integrity, keeping fabrication square and true. Sash, frame and glazing fabrication is identical to Loewen fir products.
• Strength: Laminated cores dramatically increase strength and stability while reducing waste.
• Versatility: Loewen offers literally millions of possible product combinations and almost limitless custom capabilities. Personalize your choices with simulated divided lites, 70 exterior metal clad finish options and a wide array of hardware options.
• Available with aluminum clad exterior
• Jamb Extensions
• Simulated Divided Lites
• StormForce™* glazing options
*Tested in accordance with regional code requirements (i.e. International Residential Code / NAFS 101 / l.S.2 / Miami Dade County.). Clad only. **Source: United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Agriculture Handbook Number 607, September 1984.